Have you ever wondered if brushing and flossing are necessary when you are wearing braces? The answer is yes, because braces may often give the false sense of security that your teeth are somehow protected from danger, but this is simply not true. Take the time each day to continue your oral health care while wearing braces.
The benefits of caring for your braces include the following:
– If a wire or bracket is damaged on your braces, minimize the hazard by covering the loose end with a dental wax and scheduling a visit with your orthodontist as soon as you can.
– Keeping your braces clean and clear of debris requires a traditional routine to operate as normal, including brushing and flossing daily. If you are impaired from flossing with standard tools, use alternatives such as water flossers.
– Sports and other outdoor activities are a common reason for oral accidents in patients, so it is vital to always protect your teeth at all times by wearing mouth guards, facemasks, or headgear, if applicable.
– To ensure your braces will continue to function as required, some food restrictions may be needed. On occasion, avoid sticky and chewy foods that can get trapped between your braces and teeth.
– Make sure to attend cleanings and exams with your orthodontist.
– At no time should you dismiss cleaning your retainer, but instead try to focus on a system of weekly cleaning.
Always make time in your life to visit your dentist at West End Orthodontics for orthodontic braces, and if necessary, to book an appointment with Dr. Frank Iuorno for a detailed exam of your oral health. You can reach our orthodontic office in Glen Allen, Virginia by calling us at 804-364-8366. Let us help make your smile one to be proud of!