How do you know if you have a malocclusion? First, you’ll want to have a general idea of what it is. A malocclusion is an alignment issue within your teeth. They are sometimes referred to as a “bad bite” and if left untreated can lead to significant oral health issues. Common malocclusions are as follows:
– Underbite: The upper and lower incisors fail to line up, with the lower incisors sticking out further.
– Overbite: The upper and lower incisors fail to line up, with the upper incisors sticking out further.
– Misplaced Midline: The upper and lower middle incisors don’t line up.
– Open Bite: The upper and lower incisors fail to line up when biting down onto something.
– Rotation Malocclusion: Teeth rotate out of alignment.
– Spacing Malocclusion: There are irregular gaps and spaces between the teeth.
– Crossbite: The upper and lower jawbones fail to line up.
– Transposition Malocclusion: Teeth breach the gum line in places other than where they should be.
– Deep Bite: The upper and lower incisors fail to line up because the upper incisors stick out far enough that lower incisors can cut into the gums behind the teeth.
To book an orthodontic exam at West End Orthodontics with Dr. Frank Iuorno and our team at our office in Glen Allen, Virginia, simply give us a call at 804-364-8366. We look forward to hearing from you.